Module 1: Introduction to Critical Infrastructure
Students pair into teams, which identify one of the 16 critical infrastructure sectors to focus on throughout the course. Each week’s module will be examined through the lens of the chosen sector. Student teams are expected to investigate their chosen sector and create a fictitious organization that will be used as a case study in future assignments.
Team Activity Objectives
- Define critical infrastructure, protection, and resilience in the context of the NIPP.
- Identify strategies and methods for achieving results through critical infrastructure partnerships.
- Identify various methods for assessing and validating information.
- Describe critical infrastructure in communities and the impact Lifeline sector assets have on a community’s resiliency.
- Discuss common standards bodies, such as the North American Electricity Reliability Council (NAERC) and National Institute of Standards and Technologies (NIST).
Please select a critical infrastructure sector for your team:
- Chemical Sector
- Commercial Facilities Sector
- Communications Sector
- Critical Manufacturing Sector
- Dams Sector
- Defense Industrial Base Sector
- Emergency Services Sector
- Energy Sector
- Financial Services Sector
- Food and Agriculture Sector
- Government Facilities Sector
- Healthcare and Public Health Sector
- Information Technology Sector
- Nuclear Reactors, Materials, and Waste Sector
- Transportation Systems Sector
- Water and Wastewater Systems Sector
Now create a fictitious organization that would work in that sector. Determine the organization’s name, number of employees, and the type of work it does.For example, to investigate the Nuclear Reactors, Materials, and Waste sector, you could describe a nuclear plant with 350 employees, where uranium is refined for use in nuclear weapons.
Research the following about organizations like the one you have described:
- Is this sector a “Lifeline” sector?
- What standards does your organization fall under?
- What role would your sector-specific agency play in your organization?
- Identify at least three potential cybersecurity risks to your organization.
Option 1: Write a two-page abstract on your sector and your fictitious organization, answering the four questions above.
Option 2: Prepare 2–3 presentation slides about your sector and your fictitious organization, answering the four questions above.
Grading Criteria Rubric
- Evidence of teamwork
- Use of American Psychological Association (APA) style in writing the assignment
Grade Points: 100