Module 3: Technologies
Explore the interactive graphic Secure Architecture Design. This secure design is the result of an evolutionary process of technology advancement and increasing cyber vulnerability presented in the Recommended Practice document Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Hands-on Activity Objectives
- List several types of networking hardware and explain the purpose of each.
- List and describe the functions of common communications protocols and network standards used within CI.
- Explain how existing network administration principles can be applied to secure CIKR.
- Identify new types of network applications and how they can be secured.
Use the ICS-Cert learning portal to examine an enterprise diagram for an overview of a network. If you are not registered yet, please register.
Hover over the various areas of the Secure Architecture Design graphic, located at https://ics-cert.us-cert.gov/Secure-Architecture-Design. Click inside the box for additional information associated with the system elements.
After downloading and reading Recommended Practice: Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-In-Depth Strategies (see Required Reading), navigate through the embedded description in the Secure Architectural Design diagram.
Write a short paper describing the following recommended practices for improving industrial control systems cybersecurity with Defense-In-Depth Strategies for your team’s fictitious sector-based company:
- Security Challenges within Industrial Control Systems
- Isolating and Protecting Assets: Defense-in-Depth Strategies
- Recommendations and Countermeasures
Grading Criteria Rubric
- Evidence of teamwork
- Use of American Psychological Association (APA) style in writing the assignment
Grade points: 100