Unit One: Introduction to Integrated Behavioral & Physical Health Care
Chapter Three: The Basis of Effective Interventions and Engaging the Patient: Health Behavior, Health Education, and Patient Activation
Unit One: Class Three
1.3.1. Describe three theories in facilitating behavioral change.
1.3.2. Explain the process of patient activation and the 5As.
1.3.3. Describe the importance of consistent use of forms, screening tools, and documentation of methods to patient engagement and the team process.
1.3.4. Describe how health behavioral models and theories contribute to design of collaborative care teams and effective integration strategies at the organization level.
1.3.5. Describe evidence-based practices to support the creation and maintenance of inter-professional patient care teams.
Reading Assignments and Videos
- The Behavioral Health Specialist in Primary Care: Skills for Integrated Practice: Chapter 3; pgs 41-67
- Beyond Health Care: The Role of Social Determinants in Promoting Health and Health Equity; The Kaiser Commission on Medicaid and the Uninsured
- Social Determinants of Health; Healthy People 2020, U.S. Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
- Mental Health And Mental Disorders; Healthy People 2020, U.S. Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
- List of resources and instructions for finding evidence-based practices. Guidelines for short essay and online discussion. Also read ahead to Chapters 9 and 10 (or Unit2, Classes 4 & 5).
- IMPACT Training: Module 3 – Behavioral Activation (30 min)
- IMPACT Training: Module 5 – Problem-Solving Treatment, sections A-C (Section A – 10min, Section B – 18min, Section C -13 min: total 41 min)
- SBIRT Resource Page, SAMHSA