Module 3: Behavioral Health
In this section, the student will:
- Discuss how culture and background affect the whole person
- Examine how cultural beliefs influence access to care
- Investigate ways that stigma leads to discrimination in service provision
- Identify socioeconomic impact on behavioral health
- Social Determinants, Social Inequities, and Common Mental Disorders; from the World Health Organization and Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation (Geneva, World Health Organization, 2014). ISBN 978 92 4 150680 9
- Access to Care; from the Johns Hopkins Center to Eliminate Cardiovascular Health Disparities
- “Mental Health, Poverty and Debt”; Jenkins, R., Baingana, F., Ahmad, R., McDaid, D., & Atun, R. (2011). Social, economic, human rights and political challenges to global mental health. Mental Health in Family Medicine, 8(2), 87–96.
- “Culture Counts: The Influence of Culture and Society on Mental Health“; Chapter 2 of “Mental Health: Culture, Race, and Ethnicity: A Supplement to Mental Health: A Report of the Surgeon General” August 2001.