Unit One: Introduction to Integrated Behavioral & Physical Health Care
Chapter 4: Patient Self-Management & Motivational Interviewing Techniques
Unit One: Class Four
1.4.1. Explain how self-management techniques engage the patient in their own care.
1.4.2. Describe self-management techniques in the development of care plans with the patient, their support network, and care team members.
1.4.3. Describe the four processes of Motivational Interviewing
1.4.4. List three indicators that patients are prepared to develop a change plan
1.4.5. Describe how providers can apply the self-management, motivational interviewing, patient & behavioral activation, and problem solving techniques to work with patients with chronic diseases.
Reading Assignments and Videos
Motivational Interviewing in Health Care: Helping Patients Change Behavior; Chapters 1 & 2, pgs 1-30 (copies to be provided of this selection only).
- A New Approach to Group Visits: Helping High-Need Make Behavioral Change, Family Practice Management, AAFP (3pgs); http://www.aafp.org/fpm/2008/0400/pa6.pdf
- Five Communication Strategies to Promote Self-Management of Chronic Illness, Family Practice Management, AAFP (5pgs); http://www.aafp.org/fpm/2009/0900/p12.pdf
- IMPACT Module 3: Behavioral Activation (30 min); http://impact-uw.org/training/onlinetraining.html
- Motivational Interviewing in an Integrated Setting, Addiction Technology Transfer Center Network, SAMHSA; https://vimeo.com/channels/tourofmi
- Nurse Practitioner -7 min
- Behavioral Health Counselor – 13 min
- Social Worker – 9 min
Links for more information:
- Motivational Interviewing, SAMHSA
Self-Management Support in the PCMH; Safety Net Medical Home Initiative (example of EMR tools to support procedures and screening)